About BUUF

The Boone Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (BUUF) was founded in 1958 and received an official charter in 1970 from what is now the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA). The fellowship operated informally for many years – meeting in people’s homes and various locations throughout Boone, including the Public Library.

In 1981, the Fellowship purchased the home at 381 E. King Street and we finally had a place of our own! On November 15, 1981, after many hours of cleaning, painting, papering, wiring, and plumbing, “The White House” was formally dedicated in a ceremony presided over by Reverend Don Male from the Thomas Jefferson District of the UUA.

For the first five years, we shared the upstairs space with Oasis, a shelter for battered women and children, and held our services, religious education and fellowship functions downstairs. In 1989, the Fellowship purchased the house and property directly behind “The White House” on Tracy Circle. Today we rent that space to The Playhouse, a non-profit activity center for children.
 
 
By June 1991 we had outgrown The White House and broke ground on what is now the Sanctuary with seating for 120 people.
Our membership currently stands at 100+ members and we are active in community support for programs such as the Hospitality House, the Western Youth Network, the Community Care Clinic, National Alliance for Mental Illness, and most recently F.A.R.M. café (Feed All Regardless of Means). The second Sunday of each month is designated “Community Giving” Sunday with directed giving to these and other charities.